Sunday, May 9, 2010

A skirt for Lilly

I finally got a chance to finish up a wrap skirt I was working on. A few weeks ago we were at the Dogwood festival here and one of the vendors had these really chic wrap skirts. She wanted $40 for them and the quality was not great so I figured I could make one myself. They were one side with contrasting waistbands and she had stenciled poppies or whatever on the outer flap. I had this faux leather stuff here for a purse project that I had misplaced the pattern to so I said "why the hell not" and used the leather-ish stuff.



I cut a skirt for myself and then also a skirt for Lillian. (yes, she was the guinea pig!) All it was is a rectangle with rounded bottom corners. I then attached a long tie piece that was a stretchy knit. This worked to keep it up as a waist band. I am not thrilled with this pattern for her skirt I might change it, what do you think?
I used bias tape around the edges because my machine (nor I) had any desire to try to hem the thick leather-y stuff. I made some felt flowers and topped them off with vintage buttons.Oh a HUGE thanks to Angry Chicken for the bias tape tutorial found HERE.
Now, I am sure you are asking yourself, what about the big skirt... Well the answer is that it is going to be that purse after all. I found the pattern and my skirt just looked like crap on me because the material was too heavy. I knew that was going to be the case but I tried it anyways! Have you ever started a project and used the wrong material but you thought it would work out in the end because you really wanted it to? Oh Well! Lilly has a cute skirt and I have learned my lesson... for now. If you have any questions about the specifics just let me know! Oh, almost forgot (how could I?) the felt flowers were inspired by Princess Lasertron!

No comments: